Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Permission to reveal 2

This is a continuation of the last sicha:

In general, in the recent period the Rebbe revealed many concepts, although once not so much would be revealed.

In the sicha of Pesach of last year, the Rebbe, my father in law, said that he had decided to reveal something that until now he had not revealed. He added, “although this is relevant to me, it should be said with self sacrifice.” Here we see that for the sake of something that was relevant to the entire community he put himself on the line, and even put his trustworthiness on the line!

Last summer there was some tumult concerning war, and many people were cautious about doing business dealings. A rich Jew, who would donate a great deal of money to the charity fund, decide to ask the Rebbe’s opinion whether to be concerned about the coming of a war. This Jew had a brash confidence, since he was “raised in America.” Still, he did not want to ask the Rebbe this question himself, so he phoned me and asked me to ask the Rebbe whether in his opinion, there would be a war, for then he would not do the business.

Since I too wished to know what the Rebbe would respond to this question, and on the other hand, I am only a conduit to transmit the questions of others, there would be no room for displeasure [on the part of the Previous Rebbe], so I came before the Rebbe and asked this question in the name of that person.

The Rebbe lifted his eyes, gazed at me, smiled, and said, “no war is seen” (“es zet zich nisht kein milchomo”).

Footnote of the publisher: In the period that this sicha was said there was a tumult concerning war, and it appears that the Rebbe told this story in connection with the then-current situation, to indicate that at then too there is no need to fear war. Indeed, the Rebbe writes explicitly (Igros Kodesh, Vol. 3, p. 457), “I already told you my words approximately two months ago, that in my opinion there will be no war in the upcoming months, and therefore they should not be alarmed, and each one should occupy himself with his matters.”

Toras Menachem 5710, Vol. 1, pp. 150-151.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment